Healthcare related infections (hospital infections) affect millions of people worldwide and pose a significant global problem for patient safety. Infections related to healthcare cause the extension of hospitalization periods, labor force losses and an increase in costs.
The infections that are not in incubation period when the patient is hospitalized and are caught at hospital are defined as hospital infections, or as health care related infections. These infections generally develop 48-72 hours after the hospitalization and within the 10 days as of being discharged.
Our committee has been established in 1984, with a multidisciplinary approach, in order to define the problems on healthcare related, organize and conduct activities on the solution of these problems, and it has pioneered the subject of infection control at our country. Our initial objective is to conduct an effective infection control program in our hospital in order to prevent the diseases, deaths and increasing treatment costs related to hospital infections.
Infection Control Committee carries out its activities pursuant to Infection Control Regulations for Inpatient Treatment Institutions, No. 25903 Dated 11.08.2005.
Our 3 Main Objectives
• To be the leader and set example on preventing infections related to health care, at both national and international levels.
• To organize and actualize the universally recognized evidence-based infection preventing practices.
• To be the preferred hospital through succeeding in infection preventing program
1. Surveillance and registry
Patient based surveillance, monitoring invasive-device related infections
Laboratory based surveillance
Monitoring surgical site infections in accordance with types of operation
Follow-up of surgical site infection rate in accordance with the surgeon, procedure and risk indexes
2. Follow-up of disinfection, antisepsis, and sterilization processes
3. Immunization and prophylaxis of blood borne diseases for medical staff
4. Inspections and controls with housekeeping department on hospital cleaning and disinfection procedures
5. To define the amounts of cleaning, disinfection, antisepsis and sterilization materials, fixtures and consumables for purchasing, to draw up specifications, to deliver opinions to related commission
6. Monitoring the sterilization processes in surgical suite and central sterilization units
7. Controlling the support services such as laundry, kitchen, waste management in terms of hospital infections
8. Conducting epidemics examination and audits, as the need arises
9. Personnel training
10. Infection control nursing training (Within the scope of Ministry of Health Certificate Program)
1. Surgical site infections (SSI) prevention instructions
2. Cloth collecting instructions
3. Infection control instructions for intravascular catheter and infusion systems
4. Infection control instructions for dialysis practices
5. Hand hygiene instructions
6. Personal safety equipment (gloves, overalls, masks and protective goggles) usage instructions
7. Adult Hospital standard measures and isolation instructions
8. Instructions on preventing catheter related urinary tract infections
9. Infection control instructions for post-mortem practices
10. Infection control training instructions for Adult and Oncology hospitals
11. Infection control program
12. Nosocomial pneumonia prevention instructions
13. Adult Hospital vancomycin resistant enterococcus surveillance protocol
14. Prophylaxis of blood borne diseases and surveillance of risky traumatization protocol
15. Clean clothes delivery instructions
16. Sterilization/disinfection control instructions
17. Instructions for infection control practices on structure and construction and repair works
18. Mandatory rules procedure for subcontractor firms
19. Instructions on cleaning and maintenance of water tanks 20. Waste management procedure
21. Hospital cleaning instructions
22. Prevention and control instructions of contagious diseases for medical staff
23. Secure applications of infection control in Total Parenteral Nutrition (TPN) units instructions